U.S. Department of Education resources

Additional loan resources

Private loans

Students who need additional funds beyond the financial aid package offered have the option to borrow funds through a private lender. These loans are credit-based, so applicants may need a cosigner. International students may utilize private lenders if they have a U.S. citizen or permanent resident as a cosigner.

Other resources

The following websites are available for researching other sources of financial aid:

Additional sources of financial aid for international students

Institute of International Education (IIE)

The IIE is a nonprofit organization that promotes international education. Its website, www.iie.org, provides information about the Fulbright Program. The number and amount of grants vary from country to country.

They also publish several useful guides, including Funding for US Study: A Guide for Foreign Nationals, English Language Orientation Programs (a guide to ESL programs in the US), and Academic Year Abroad. Books can be ordered through email at iie-books@iie.org.

Ford Foundation International Fellowship Program (IFP)

The Foundation sponsors three minority graduate fellowship programs—predoctoral, doctoral, and postdoctoral—through the National Research Council.

The IFP provides support for up to three years of formal graduate-level study. Fellows will be selected from countries in Africa and the Middle East, Asia, Latin America, and Russia, where the foundation maintains active overseas programs. U.S. nationals are not eligible, although fellows may study in the United States. IFP Fellows must be nationals of eligible countries.

For more detailed information concerning the application process, eligible candidates, and IFP requirements, visit www.fordfound.org.

Additional resources

For questions about financial aid, please contact the Office of Faculty and Graduate Affairs at gradengineering@cmu.edu.