Carnegie Mellon University has grown from four small programs into the world-class university it is today. Beginning in 1905, the massive buildings of the Carnegie Technical Schools began to rise out of a barren field east of the city. Applications poured in, and the first students of the School of Science and Technology began classes in unfinished buildings, still surrounded by the sounds of construction.
In 1912, with the original campus nearly complete and three more schools holding classes, the first “Tech” engineer entered the working world with a bachelor’s degree from the newly accredited Carnegie Institute of Technology. The legacy of Carnegie Mellon Engineering had begun.
Over the next five decades, Carnegie Tech became well-known not only for its engineering and science