Fellowships and assistantships

Most qualified applicants to our graduate studies programs are strongly supported, both via faculty involvement and financial assistance. Because our graduate programs are decentralized, it is important that you review support options in the department where you are applying by using the department and contact links to the right. Below is an overview of the types of financial support available in the College of Engineering.


For doctoral candidates, the College of Engineering offers a full tuition fellowship that includes a monthly stipend. Each of the departments has opportunities to provide financial support for qualified applicants. At the university-level, the Fellowships and Scholarships Office (FSO) provides step-by-step guidance for identifying, applying for, and receiving financial support from outside resources. Also, there are many opportunities for external fellowships.

Research assistantships

Research projects that receive outside funding from government agencies, companies, or foundations can offer students payment for their research activities. Research Assistants (RAs) must work under the direction of a faculty advisor and perform tasks in a satisfactory and timely manner. Review the options available with the appropriate engineering department.

Teaching assistantships

Faculty members are awarded funding for teaching assistantships. They in turn award these monies to selected students, called Teaching Assistants (TAs). TAs are directed by their faculty advisors, with duties that may include conducting office hours, grading, or teaching experience. To be eligible, all TAs must meet minimum English proficiency, and international students must pass a state-administered proficiency exam. Review the relevant department website to see what is available.

Federal work-study

The Federal Work-Study Program provides jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related to each student's course of study. You’ll earn at least the current federal minimum wage, but the amount might be higher depending on the type of work you do and the skills required. Your total Federal Work-Study award depends on when you apply, your level of need, and the funding level of your school. If this option is of interest to you, please confirm the availability of the program with your department.

Financial assistance

At the university level, the Enrollment Services Office provides comprehensive information on financial aid for graduate students. You can review information on the application process, loan certification, tuition payment plans, and more. You can also review the list of other online resources for graduate study loans or financial aid.

Additional resources for financial aid

There are also a variety of external resources for financial aid and external fellowships for graduate study.

For questions about fellowships and assistantships, please contact the Office of Faculty and Graduate Affairs at gradengineering@cmu.edu.