Carnegie Mellon Engineering

Transferring Credit From Another University

Since courses change frequently and innumerable institutions and courses are available to students, there is no comprehensive list of qualified universities or courses that we accept for transfer. Each course is evaluated on an individual basis. Engineering courses are generally NOT transferable, unless from an approved study abroad program such as ITESM or EPFL, or explicitly accepted by the Engineering department.

For any course to be reviewed for possible transfer credit, students should use the Transfer Credit Form to submit your request (except for Study Abroad—students should then use the SATC form available in the Study Abroad Office, Warner Hall 3rd Floor).

For Economics and Business course requests, please use the following department-specific request forms:

For Economics Courses:

  • See: Transfer Credit Form for Economics Courses
  • Please note that students may transfer a total of two courses (including AP, IB, summer study abroad, etc.) towards any degree in Economics
  • Undergraduate Economics DOES NOT accept courses taken at Community Colleges

For Business Courses:

Note: The College of Engineering uses a self-signed security certificate. Your browser may warn you about this when attempting to access the site. Rest assured that your transactions with the site are secure (i.e. you must authenticate to use the online form).

College Courses Taken in High School: If you've taken college courses while still in high school, we will consider these for transfer credit following the process outlined below.  Please note that we do not accept college courses that were used to fulfill high school degree requirements. All students wishing to transfer in college courses taken in high school must submit a verification letter from your high school that confirms they were not used toward graduation requirements. That letter can be faxed or emailed to Kourtney Bandish in the CIT Dean's Office (fax#: 412.268.6421).

Here are the steps to follow:

  1. Complete the Transfer Credit Form completely. The form is submitted directly to the College of Engineering Dean's Office. There it is reviewed and then sent on to the department in which the course in question is housed for evaluation by faculty. We will respond within about a week regarding your request (including what credit you could get and what grade you'd need).

    NOTE: The maximum number of courses you can take outside of CMU during your four years is dictated by the university's Residency Requirement in the catalog and your particular degree requirements. Our submission limit is three requests per summer. So please think carefully about what courses you submit and will be able to enroll in given registration deadlines, etc.

    The College of Engineering does not have standing transfer credit articulation agreements with any other institutions.

  2. If approved, after you take the course, send an official transcript to us at the following address:

    Transfer Credit
    College of Engineering Dean's Office, Scaife Hall 110
    Carnegie Mellon University, 5000 Forbes Ave.
    Pittsburgh, PA 15213

    Please note that ALL courses taken at other institutions must be taken for a letter grade. We will not accept courses taken as Pass/Fail. A grade of "TR" will appear for earned transfer credit (similar to AP for Advanced Placement). This information can be viewed on your SIO account. Although these credits can work toward degree requirements, they will not affect grade point averages.


Course/Department Specific Guidelines

For Physics for Engineers I & II, the following is required:

  • The Physics course you wish to transfer in must be 4 credits (4 credits = 12 Carnegie Mellon units).  If the course is 3 credits, you are required to take the lab (1 credit) that corresponds directly to the lecture you plan to take.  If there is no associated lab, the 3 credit course is ineligible for transfer.
  • Detailed SYLLABUS of the physics topics and calculus content 
  • Physics II MUST have a pre-requisite of Physics I
  • A course description for each prerequisite and/or co-requisite in calculus
  • Must be part of a 2-course sequence (No 3-course sequences are permitted)
  • SYLLABI of the other physics course involved in the 2-course sequence
  • Courses meant for Biology or Pre-med students are NOT applicable
  • Also see: Transfer Credit Guidelines for Physics


For Biology Courses:


For Chemistry Courses:

  • Name of Chemistry textbook
  • Syllabus
  • Indication that the course is required for Chemistry majors


For Statistics Courses:

  • Course description and detailed syllabus
  • Course descriptions of all the prerequisite courses


Online Courses: The College of Engineering will review online courses for transfer. All online course require a "B" grade or better to transfer. However, the following departments DO NOT accept online transfer courses:

  • Business
  • Economics
  • English
  • Chemistry
  • Math
  • Physics
  • Psychology
  • Statistics
  • Any science course w/a lab component

Community College Courses: All transfer courses taken at community colleges require a "B" grade or better in order to transfer (unless otherwise specified by the department).


Graduate Students

Graduate students wishing to transfer course credits from another university must complete the Graduate Transfer Credit Request Form. See the graduate policies regarding transfer credit.