Manufacturing Futures Postdoctoral Fellowship Program
The MFI Postdoctoral Fellowship Program seeks candidates that will support the vision of MFI by demonstrating leadership in advanced manufacturing technologies, artificial intelligence, integrated design and entrepreneurship, the science of learning, technology policy, and the addressing challenges that cross multiple disciplines.
Proposed research must demonstrate a clear fit with the mission, research pillars and areas of academic inquiry and translational opportunity of MFI. Both internal and external applicants will be considered. Applicants will need confirmed commitment from a CMU faculty mentor to be considered. Fellowship appointments will be for one year with the option for renewal, subject to annual review and consideration.
- Completion of PhD or ScD prior to start date
- No more than two years past the date of the doctoral degree at the time of appointment
- Internal and external candidates will be considered
Applicants are required to submit the following materials. Applications will be judged on the qualifications of the applicant, and the quality and applicability of the proposed research to the mission and goals of the Manufacturing Futures Initiative and its potential impact.
- Thesis abstract – one page
- Research proposal – 700-1,000 words (not including references and citations). Research proposals must be aligned with the mission of MFI and demonstrate a clear fit with MFI research pillars and core research areas crossing the pillars. Proposals should be of high overall technical quality and represent novel, interdisciplinary research. Submissions should also convey the impact of the proposed research, including, as applicable, social, economic, policy, and regional impact as well as the potential of the research to generate additional funding.
- Education and background statement – 500-700 words describing your personal background and contributions to advanced manufacturing through your academic career
- Curriculum vitae including publication list
- Writing sample – sample publication or unpublished paper. Please limit to 35 pages (not including references and citations)
- Two letters of recommendation including one from the applicant’s PhD thesis advisor, to be sent directly to CMU-MFI@andrew.cmu.edu, that provide detailed assessments of the applicant’s qualifications and potential for innovative, ground-breaking independent research
- Letter of support from the CMU faculty mentor who will advise you during your fellowship appointment addressing:
- applicant's planned research
- extent to which the applicant will participate in department and campus activities and programs
- facilities and resources available to the fellow
- statement confirming that the faculty mentor’s department chair supports the items above
NOTE: Applicants are encouraged to contact faculty currently funded through MFI as well as faculty with research interests that could support MFI.
The tenure of the postdoctoral fellowship will be no less than 9 months and no more than 12 months, with tenure beginning no earlier than June 1, 2018 and no later than September 1, 2018. Postdoctoral fellowships may not be deferred or delayed. Appointments may be renewed, subject to annual review and consideration.
Stipend and Benefits
- One-year stipend: $60,000
- Carnegie Mellon University full-time staff benefits
- $10,000 will be provided annually for discretionary research expenses including travel
- Due date – all application materials must be submitted by 5:00 pm Eastern on January 29, 2018
- Submission process – application materials must be submitted via the CMU MFI Postdoctoral Program online application form
- Two letters of recommendation including one from the applicant’s PhD thesis advisor, to be sent directly to CMU-MFI@andrew.cmu.edu
- Candidates will be notified on or before February 15, 2018
- Formal acceptance of the fellowship must be made in writing no later than March 1, 2018
Click here to download complete program information which includes details on eligibility, tenure, stipend and benefits and application instructions.